When you got engaged, you may have gone to a bridal show. So when you’re pregnant, you may look into going to a baby show. Here are some reasons to go and some tips on what to do when you go.
A baby show usually showcases some things like your birth options, how to get a breast pump, some amazing people who can help capture photos of your pregnancy and newborn baby, baby gear like car seats and carriers, samples of things like formula and more!
When I was growing up, my mom used to joke that there was a parenting book which totally you exactly what to do. Kids in her class would say that all parents would do the same things and she would say of course – that’s in Chapter 3, that’s why. Then when I became a parent, I wished I had another master’s degree just in baby gear and the first year alone – car seats and baby wearing and formula and baby food and breast feeding – oh my! There is SO much to know.
Going to a baby show can give you a great deal of really good information in a short period of time. Things that would take hours to Google or I wouldn’t even have known to Google, all in one convenient location – yes, please! In my opinion, attendance at one of these shows is a great idea, especially if you’re a first time mom and would like to get a lot of information in just a few hours.
If you go to a baby show like The Prego Expo, here are a few quick tips to make your experience easier and more enjoyable.
- Check out the expo website. Make sure you’re generally familiar with where you’re going, what time it starts and any special instructions they may have offered. This will take some of the stress out of trying to figure things out on the day of the event. And moms need less stress for sure!
- Know what vendors you will not want to miss. Start there. If there will be a newborn photographer there that you’ve already been interested in or a lactation consultant who seems really knowledgeable, you’re not going to want to miss those booths. Make a list of the people / booths you do not want to miss and try to start by seeing them first.
- Get there early. Some times the lines are long and the first people in will sometimes get more samples and just more time in general. Parking and getting in can take time too, so just allow for extra time, again less stress!
- Have a way to stay organized. If you see something you want on your registry or a business you want to hire, make sure you have a way to record this. You can do this by taking photos on your phone or have a note pad with you. Taking business cards can be helpful but they sometimes get lost, so I recommend having another way to store information about things you really want to follow up on after the show.
- Ask questions. No one expects moms to know everything so if you’re unsure, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Car seat safety and breastfeeding were two categories I asked lots of questions about when I attended a baby show for the first time. Don’t be shy!
- Pack snacks. If you’re like me and need to eat every hour or two, make sure you pack snacks! There may be some samples and also a place to buy food, but if you’re busy at the show, you’re going to want some quality snacks quickly. Moms, pregnant, breastfeeding, etc. just need to take care of themselves so do not forget this important aspect. You may also want to bring along a reusable water bottle too.
I recently attended The Prego Expo in Orlando. I personally find The Prego Expo to be one of the best, most organized and fun baby shows. For me, the value in this show is meeting people like photographers, doulas, lactation consultants and more. They also offer sessions from medical professionals, a model show of beautiful dresses for pregnant women and some really amazing giveaways! If you have The Prego Expo near you, I highly recommend checking it out!
Thank you to The Prego Expo for hosting me.